I spent an hour or so doing the final bits we overlooked last night for teh script (toad information and lake character's spoken trial part). Here it is finished anyway:
Witchcraft Script
Intro screen - Black screen with text:
Scarborough 1660
Scarborough 1660
The locals are fearful of newer faces such as yours. Many believe you to be a witch. Gain support of the local community, or suffer the consequences..
[Press button to go to the Cunning man’s house]
Location: Cunning man’s house
Location: Cunning man’s house
Note: common symbols to be used:
S – To denote ‘Sounds’ used, for example sound effects or spoken script.
T – To denote ‘Text’ used, for example extra script dialog.
Cunning man’s introduction:
S – To denote ‘Sounds’ used, for example sound effects or spoken script.
T – To denote ‘Text’ used, for example extra script dialog.
Cunning man’s introduction:
S - “Welcome traveller. So you’re the one the locals speak evil of. I suppose you’ll need my help. I know evil and I don’t sense it from you, but the locals will be harder to persuade.”
T – “I suggest you familiarise yourself with these charms and take on my role as a cunning folk for today. You'll need the support of the locals to survive the trials.”
Cunning man describing cunning folk:
S – “Us cunning folk use folk magic and special charms to guard locals from supernatural threat, for a small fee of course. We are trained in the art of expelling evil.”
T – “Local farmers seek our expertise to perform ancient rituals which help promote abundant harvests. We are skilled in fortune telling, spiritual healing and experts in charms of protection. We are also known as wizards, wise men and in some cases white witches.”
Cunning man door exit final words:
S - “Good luck on your journey. Take these charms and this map to aid you in your travels. I’ve marked on the map the places you’ll need to visit today. The farm would be an easy place to start.”
Location: Farm
Slightly worried male character:
S - “Hey you, can you lend me a hand? It’s my horses you see..”
S - “Hey you, can you lend me a hand? It’s my horses you see..”
T – “My horses are being taken at night and when I find them the next day they’re too tired to work. I think it’s a witch. The cunning man suggested a charm to hang on my stable door, but I can’t remember what it was. Do you have anything that can help?”
Incorrect Answers:
S – Incorrect sound
T – Toad charm: “Toads are used to protect against curses and spells”
T – Jet heart Necklace charm: “Jet heart necklaces protect against magic enchantments.”
T – Witch cake: “This cake will help reveal a witch that has cursed someone.”
T – Witch bottle: “When placed in a fire, this bottle will reveal a witch”
Incorrect Answers:
S – Incorrect sound
T – Toad charm: “Toads are used to protect against curses and spells”
T – Jet heart Necklace charm: “Jet heart necklaces protect against magic enchantments.”
T – Witch cake: “This cake will help reveal a witch that has cursed someone.”
T – Witch bottle: “When placed in a fire, this bottle will reveal a witch”
Correct Answers:
S – Correct sound
S – “Yes I think that’s the one. Thank you.”
T – Further Information:
S – Correct sound
S – “Yes I think that’s the one. Thank you.”
T – Further Information:
Blood has a distinct taste and scent of iron, thus iron itself was once thought to be the life force of the earth. It was believed that this element could ward off ghosts, fairies, witches and other malicious supernatural beings.
Witch stones, or Adder stones as they are more popularly referred to in the north east of England are pebbles with naturally occurring holes in them. They were believed to have strong protective powers against spells and curses common in witchcraft, and also negated the effects of the evil eye (a look believed to cause injury or bad luck to the person it is intended for).
Location: Church
Hurried male character:
Hurried male character:
S – “Where’s the cunning man? Nevermind.. Have you got the witch bottle? He said it would help reveal the witch who cast this curse on me.”
T – Go ahead and throw the witch bottle into the fire place.
“Thank you, the witch should be along soon. I won’t keep you any longer.”
T – Further information:
Witch bottles were made by witches and cunning folk alike. They usually contained the hearts of toads and frogs impaled with pins or nails, along with hair, urine and nail clippings of the victim. Witches used them to curse or harm, while cunning folk would use them to reveal a witch. The cunning folk would heat the bottle to inflict burning pains on the witch so they would seek out the bottle and therefore reveal themselves.
Grumpy, angry male character:
S - “I sent for the cunning man, who are you? Oh, so you bought the witch cake for me. Put the cake in the dog bowl and listen carefully.”
T - Drag and drop the witch cake to the dog bowl
Margaret the witch screams!
S - “Which direction was that scream from?”
Choose “Left” or “Right”
T – Further information:
Witch cakes were made using rye meal and the urine of the afflicted person. It was believed that when the cake was fed to a dog this would hurt the witch because invisible particles the witch used to harm the person remained in the urine of the victim. The witch’s cries in pain as the dog ate the cake would help reveal the culprit.
Location: Forest
Concerned female character:
S - “Who are you? You don’t look like a witch.. Oh, so you were sent by the cunning man..
S - “Who are you? You don’t look like a witch.. Oh, so you were sent by the cunning man..
T – “Witches lurk in these forests and I often fear for my life.. I asked the cunning man for a charm to protect from their evil gaze. Do you have it for me?”
Just as you hand over the necklace, a black cat snatches it in its mouth and runs away.
You begin a timed maze game to find the cat and retrieve necklace.
T – Further information:
Jet has long been regarded as a powerful material against the supernatural. The black reflective surface was believed to reflect the evil eye, a stare which was said to cause harm and believed to be used frequently by witches.
You begin a timed maze game to find the cat and retrieve necklace.
T – Further information:
Jet has long been regarded as a powerful material against the supernatural. The black reflective surface was believed to reflect the evil eye, a stare which was said to cause harm and believed to be used frequently by witches.
Location: Lake
Peculiar female character:
S – “Greetings, so you’ve been sent by the cunning man. I take it you have my toad.”
S – “Greetings, so you’ve been sent by the cunning man. I take it you have my toad.”
T – “Hand it to me. Prove your cunning in this game and you have my support.”
Game to find the toad hidden underneath one of three cups.
S (correct) – “You’ve played this before haven’t you.. Well you can count on my support.”
S (incorrect) – “Leave here you are not worthy.”
T – Further information:
Toads have long had an association with dark magic. Witches used them as familiars and some killed them to use in spells. Toads were also believed to hold a jewel within their skull known as the toadstone. It was thought that this stone would glow or become warmer in the presence of poison.
Location: Trial
Black screen with text:
After your day’s labour you rest. In the morning you are summoned to court under suspicion of practicing witchcraft. Use your newly found knowledge of charms and the support you have gained to prove your innocence.
Trial room, pan from left to right through characters which will either vouch for you or not depending on whether you have helped them.
Farm character –
S - “It’s a shame seeing you here. My horses have been well rested since you handed me that
charm.”
charm.”
Castle character –
S (correct) – “I never much trusted you, but a keen pair of ears helped reveal to me the witch!”
S (incorrect) – “Thanks to you the witch got away. I hope justice is served today.”
Forest character –
S (correct) – “Thank you for returning the necklace to me.”
S (incorrect – “I suspect now that the cat stealing my necklace was your doing..”
Church character –
“I see no witch here. Your help was invaluable.”
Lake character -
S (correct) – “I received much kindness from this one.”
S (incorrect) – “I can smell the evil seeping from your pores!”
Judge female character:
S (correct) – “I received much kindness from this one.”
S (incorrect) – “I can smell the evil seeping from your pores!”
Judge female character:
S – “Order in the court. It seems you have gained a local following. I however see a witch in you.. Here we shall see if you have good intentions. Tell me what these charms do to prove your knowledge of folk magic.”
On completion of test:
S (correct) – “I am impressed by your knowledge. The town would benefit greatly from a wise one such as you. We shall doubt you no more. Farewell!”
S (incorrect) – It seems the locals’ trust in you was misplaced. In light of your good deeds I shall be merciful and reduce your sentence. You are hereby banished from Scarborough. I suggest you leave urgently.
Dan
No comments:
Post a Comment